[Dnsmasq-discuss] Subnet specifications for authoritative dns

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed May 29 10:13:47 BST 2013

Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>
writes:

> In your case, to delegate 192.168.1.0-127 or 192.168.1.128-255 isn't
> possible using this scheme. There is a workaround involving CNAMES,
> but it's complicated for a simple-to-setup scheme, which is what
> dnsmasq is trying to provide.

Right, well basically what I'm trying to achieve is for dnsmasq to still
provide the (reverse) DNS service for the whole /24 subnet internally,
but to filter out the addresses in the upper /25 and not answer those in
queries on the authoritative interface (and exclude them from zone
transfer also). It's not critically important, it just irks me to
provide random people on the guest network with global DNS entries in my
namespace, even if it's only for RFC1918 addresses... :)

-Toke