[Dnsmasq-discuss] Netbooting OS X and PXE with the same conf

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Jun 26 21:14:05 BST 2013

On 25/06/13 11:20, Alex Silva wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am trying to use dnsmasq in an appliance that I intend to "drop" into
> a network for network booting both OS X and PXE. I have attached the
> current configuration file that I have. While it works for PXE, it does
> not work for OS X. The problem seems to be with DHCP proxying, because
> netbooting OS X works if I change the dhcp-range line to allocate IP
> addresses in a given range. But I don't want the appliance to conflict
> with the networks's authoritative DHCP server. Is there anyway this
> could be done?

I'm not sure there is: the proxy function (ie get boot parameters from
one DHCP/PXE server, IP address from another DHCP server) is PXE
specific, I  think. Unless the Apple  boot protocol implements the same
thing somehow, what you want is not possible.

Caveat: I know nothing of the Apple Boot protocol. so I may have missed
something.