[Dnsmasq-discuss] LAN taken down by Ubuntu upgrade - can't see problem

Koos Pol koos2013 at pohw.nl
Wed Jul 3 07:49:30 BST 2013

Adam Hardy schreef op 2013-07-03 08:09:

>> It may not be related, but OP surprised me by having a FQHN for
>> 127.0.0.1
>> Although many current Linux box configure themselves that way, it is
>> considered bad practice. Try to avoid it.

> is that because you should only have the FQDN appear once in
> /etc/hosts? Or is there another reason?

Hi Adam,

You can have as many FQHNs in your hosts file as you wish for the same
device. This is not a problem. But only for *real* devices. The lo
device (127.0.0.x) should better be left alone and only have assigned
'localhost'.
There's plenty of software around (Oracle, Zimbra) which will go tits-up
if you assign a genuine hostname to 127.0.0.1 in certain DNS
configurations.
I prefer a simple '127.0.0.1 localhost'.
Sometimes you find an entry '127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain'.
I don't know who invented the localdomain suffix, but it seems just as
silly to me.

Koos

--
http://www.malarianomore.org
For $10 a mosquito net + distribution + education + monitoring +