[Dnsmasq-discuss] Make RA_INTERVAL configureable? Deprecate old prefixes?

Uwe Schindler uwe at thetaphi.de
Sat Jul 27 19:11:33 BST 2013

Hi,

I send in my config:
dhcp-option=option6:information-refresh-time,1h

Otherwise, Windows Clients never try to renew information from DHCPv6 (it looks like that to me, in reality its 86400 secs, which is the default if not specified). http://www.6net.org/publications/standards/rfc4242.txt confirms this:

   This document describes a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for
   IPv6 (DHCPv6) option for specifying an upper bound for how long a
   client should wait before refreshing information retrieved from
   DHCPv6.  It is used with stateless DHCPv6 as there are no addresses
   or other entities with lifetimes that can tell the client when to
   contact the DHCPv6 server to refresh its configuration.

Further details:

3.1.  Constants

   We define two constants for use by the protocol.  How they are used
   is specified in the sections below.

      IRT_DEFAULT 86400
         In some cases the client uses a default refresh time
         IRT_DEFAULT.  The recommended value for IRT_DEFAULT is 86400
         (24 hours).  The client implementation SHOULD allow for this
         value to be configurable.

      IRT_MINIMUM 600
         This defines a minimum value for the refresh time.

3.2.  Client Behaviour

   A client MUST request this option in the Option Request Option (ORO)
   when sending Information-Request messages to the DHCPv6 server.  A
   client MUST NOT request this option in the ORO in any other messages.

   If the Reply to an Information-Request message does not contain this
   option, the client MUST behave as if the option with value
   IRT_DEFAULT was provided.

In my opinion, dnsmasq should by default (like for stateful  IPv4 leases) use the lifetime specified in the dhcp-range to request the clients to refresh this information. If it is explicitely given, of course use the information from option6:information-refresh-time setting.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen