[Dnsmasq-discuss] Wildcard and round-robin DNS in one?

Joe Pranevich jpranevich at lycos-inc.com
Tue Aug 13 18:53:42 BST 2013

I am presently using dnsmasq for a load testing project and we have a
challenging use-case. We're using DNSMasq on our testing servers to ensure
that we are hitting the new systems for access, but we now need to test it
behind round-robin DNS. To make this somewhat more challenging, we also are
testing using wildcard DNS records, several tens of thousands of unique
hostnames.

It seems that the combination together doesn't work:

* You can use host file entries to return multiple A records for a zone,
but /etc/hosts style records don't support wildcards.

* You can use wildcard records in the address= config lines, but then only
one address at a time.

Is there any way to do both?

Thanks for your help,

Joe