[Dnsmasq-discuss] sometimes dhcp-script does not trigger on lease renewal

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Aug 20 10:43:20 BST 2013

On 08/08/13 16:09, Stefan wrote:
> Am 07.08.2013 15:30, schrieb Simon Kelley:
>> OK, you're NOT using broken-RTC mode. Does you machine have an RTC
>> or some way to make sure the time is always correct?
>
> ntpd is running...
>

>> Can you reproduce this problem easily?
>
> More or less. Problem occurs only after a certain time and for certain
> devices. If I restart dnsmasq, script-triggering works fine again ...
> for some time

So, I think this is behaving as documented: merely renewing a lease
doesn't cause a call to the script _unless_ --leasefile=ro is set:

manpage-quote:

"old" is a notification of an existing lease when dnsmasq starts or a
change to MAC address or host‐name of an existing lease (also, lease
length or expiry and client-id, if leasefile-ro is set)

There's a different argument about if it's sensible behaviour. The
default behaviour allows stuff to happen based on the existence of
leases. The misnamed leasefile-ro mode calls the script with enough
information and frequently enough that is can maintain a complete and
up-to-date copy of the lease database.