[Dnsmasq-discuss] Serving out NetBIOS reverse results?

Jarno Elonen jarno.elonen at housemarque.fi
Wed Aug 28 08:47:46 BST 2013

Hi Vincent,

 > I have dnsmasq 2.57 and reverse DNS resolution works on> the server
against hosts stored in /etc/hosts.

Manual entries in /etc/hosts work for me too, but I was interested in
trying if dnsmasq could also be made to serve reverse queries for the
dynamic NetBIOS names. That is, names that (DHCP-configured) Windows
hosts advertise in their SMB workgroup.

The NetBIOS reverse lookup can be done manually by "nmblookup -A <ip
address>", so I was wondering if there's either some internal support
for NetBIOS/Samba/Wins or perhaps a mechanism to plug in new dynamic
query methods (e.g. shell one-liners) to implement this with dnsmasq.

One way to implement this might be to write a cron script that parses
system log for DHCP acks, performs an nmblookup against them and stuffs
them into /etc/hosts but that's too kludgish for my taste.
This is basically just for administration, diagnostics and completeness'
sake anyway -- I doubt any program actually *requires* reverse lookups
for NetBIOS.

-Jarno