[Dnsmasq-discuss] Serving multiple addresses via DHCPv6

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Sep 8 17:36:20 BST 2013

On 08/09/13 15:08, aloysius at eclipso.eu wrote:
> From: Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>
>
>> Best of luck. The DHCPv6 protocol allows this, in theory, but how it
>> should work in practice is not really settled, in my experience. Do you
>>
>> have a DHCPv6 client that will do the work? All the clients I've tested
>>
>> seem to only request or expect a single address.
>>
>> dnsmasq-2.66 includes a serious rewrite of the DHCPv6 code which allows
>>
>> it to offer multiple addresses. You should use that, or preferably the
>> 2.67test releases, to have any chance of success.
>>

>> Certainly don't expect it to "just work", but do report back on
>> the
>> results of your efforts: we may be able to help further, and improve
>> dnsmasq in the process.
>
> Using 2.67 I tried using an ULA range (with and without static leases) and a global range.
> Windows 7 worked perfectly, taking both addresses assigned via dhcpv6.

Well, this post and Roy's about dhcpcd shows that I was maybe too
pessimistic about the state of client support.

I'm pleased that many clients and the current dnsmasq code seem to get
this right.

> Linuxmint 15 (networkmanager 0.9.8) worked well only if the first address is served via dhcpv6
> and the second one via slaac; if both ranges are dhcpv6 it does something weird: it assigns the
> ULA address to the interface, flushes it and then adds the other one.

It may be worth talking to the networkmanager devs about that. My
impression is that to make it work under those circumstances will
require smarts in both the DHCPv6 client and networkmanager.

> Haven't tested this with Symbian as I wished, but I doubt it's of interest to anyone.

Interop testing is always good, I'm interested to the extent that it can
be demonstrated that dnsmasq is contributing to any breakage with this
combination.