[Dnsmasq-discuss] No IPv6 router advertisements for subnets other than /64?

Quintus quintus at quintilianus.eu
Mon Sep 16 10:18:56 BST 2013

Hi there,

I’m trying to divide my home network into useful IPv6 subnets. I’ve got
a /64 network from SiXxs and wanted to use a /80 for cable clients and
another /80 for wifi clients (with the other /80s staying unused for
now). Here’s what I’ve tried for cable:

dhcp-range=set:wired6,2001:4dd0:ff00:8918:1::,ra-names,80

That is, I want clients to use stateless
autoconfiguration within the subnet of 2001:4dd0:ff00:8918:1::/80 so
they can make use of the IPv6 privacy extensions below that. However,
dnsmasq refuses to start with this message:

prefix must be exactly 64 for RA subnets

What is the background of this restriction? As far as I know SLAAC
doesn’t depend on a prefix length of /64... It could as well be /40
or /80 or whatever (valid). Any chance this gets lifted in future
versions of dnsmasq or do I have to use DHCPv6 for /80 subnets?

Valete,
Marvin

--
Blog: http://www.quintilianus.eu

ASCII-Ribbon-Kampagne        ()   | ASCII Ribbon Campaign        ()
- Stoppt HTML-E-Mail         /\   | - Against HTML E-Mail        /\
- Stoppt proprietäre Anhänge      | - Against proprietary attachments
www.asciiribbon.org/index-de.html | www.asciiribbon.org