[Dnsmasq-discuss] gatway

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Oct 2 15:02:09 BST 2013

On 02/10/13 14:47, Moritz Warning wrote:

> The gateway in our network isn't always present.
> So it won't be able to announce a prefix all the time.
> Yet, every new computer need to know a prefix
> to communicate with other computers on the network.
> I would assume that this is common scenario.

Isn't that what link-local addresses are for?

> Btw., ra-names is not really necessary for us.
> We just want to gives connected computers a
> prefix and at some point in the future the
> address and prefix of the gateway as well.
> router-advertisements/-solicitations are blocked on the network
> except between a computer (client) and the router it is connected to.
> It is a public mesh network. :-)

I think the place for further study on this is RFC 3775, "Mobility
Support in IPv6". Specifically look at section 7. I don't understand if
that fixes the problem you have, but if it does, I'd consider supporting
the modifications detailed there, somehow.