[Dnsmasq-discuss] Questions about Adding IPv6 External DNS Servers to dnsmasq

Uwe Schindler uwe at thetaphi.de
Thu Oct 3 12:27:56 BST 2013

Hi,

if the failing test is only the last one: "Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 internet, or it is not configured to use it", then you are perfectly fine! The message is a little bit misleading, but if you understand what's happening its quite clear:

This test checks, if the *last* nameserver in the chain uses IPv6 to connect the nameserver responsible for the requested domain (the trick they use is to return a different IP address for requests coming in with IPv4 and IPv6). As dnsmasq does not do recursive lookups and just delegates to another nameserver at your ISP (or OpenDNS,as you configured it), your ISP's caching nameserver does this request to the final destination. If this connection (ISP nameserver -> responsible nameserver) is done by IPv4, the test fails. It does not matter if your own nameserver uses IPv6 or if your own nameserver connects via IPv6 to the ISP's nameserver. Here is only tests if the connection to the responsible final nameserver is done via IPv6. As you have no access to your ISP's nameserver, there is nothing you can do. And it does not matter at all. If your ISP switches to IPv6 completely, they have to fix this, too - but it is out of your control.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen