[Dnsmasq-discuss] Questions about Adding IPv6 External DNS Servers to dnsmasq

Patrick Dickey pdickeybeta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 01:31:12 BST 2013

> Is the test which is failing "Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6"?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

Hi Simon,

Yes, that's the test that is failing. Supposedly (since my external DNS
is provided by OpenDNS), it should pass. But it's still failing. So, I'm
trying to find a way of getting it to look at their IPv6 DNS Servers
when necessary.

Part of the problem is that the Amahi Server system generates its own
config files, which dnsmasq uses. There's a line at the end of
dnsmasq.conf, which says confdir= /etc/dnsmasq.d/ (which contains three
amahi- generated files).

While the files in that config directory claim that you should put any
customizations in the dnsmasq.conf file, their control script doesn't
read that file (apparently). So, I'm thinking that I'll either have to
manually edit their generated configuration files, or add the servers to
their script.

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 13:27:56 +0200
> From: "Uwe Schindler" <uwe at thetaphi.de>
> To:
> <pdickeybeta at gmail.com>,   <dnsmasq-discuss at lists.thekelleys.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] Questions about Adding IPv6 External
>         DNS     Servers to dnsmasq
>
> Hi,
>
> if the failing test is only the last one: "Your DNS server (possibly
> run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 internet, or it
> is not configured to use it", then you are perfectly fine! The message
> is a little bit misleading, but if you understand what's happening its
> quite clear:
>
> This test checks, if the *last* nameserver in the chain uses IPv6 to
> connect the nameserver responsible for the requested domain (the trick
> they use is to return a different IP address for requests coming in
> with IPv4 and IPv6). As dnsmasq does not do recursive lookups and just
> delegates to another nameserver at your ISP (or OpenDNS,as you
> configured it), your ISP's caching nameserver does this request to the
> final destination. If this connection (ISP nameserver -> responsible
> nameserver) is done by IPv4, the test fails. It does not matter if
> your own nameserver uses IPv6 or if your own nameserver connects via
> IPv6 to the ISP's nameserver. Here is only tests if the connection to
> the responsible final nameserver is done via IPv6. As you have no
> access to your ISP's nameserver, there is nothing you can do. And it
> does not matter at all. If your ISP switches to IPv6 completely, they
> have to fix this, too - but it is out of your control.
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de
> eMail: uwe at thetaphi.de

So, from what you're saying, it doesn't matter if I give dnsmasq both
IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Servers to check? It will check the IPv4 one
regardless of whether both are available to use? Everything in my setup
is configured to use OpenDNS's servers, and they offer both IPv4 and
IPv6 ones to choose from. If this is the case, then until IPv4 dies off,
I won't even need to worry about this (as when that time comes, the
Amahi script will have to be updated with IPv6 DNS Servers instead of
the IPv4 ones they're using now).

Thanks both of you for your help with this.

Have a great day.:)
Patrick.