[Dnsmasq-discuss] Questions about Adding IPv6 External DNS Servers to dnsmasq

Patrick Dickey pdickeybeta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 12:11:24 BST 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-04 at 11:33 +0100,
dnsmasq-discuss-request at lists.thekelleys.org.uk wrote:
> Re: Questions about Adding IPv6 External  DNS     Servers to
>       dnsmasq

One more quick question. If my local network uses both IPv4 and IPv6
addresses, and I only list the IPv6 external DNS Servers inside of
dnsmasq, will it resolve IPv4-only sites? Or will that essentially break
a portion of my network? I have verified that I can use dig to get IPv4
information about sites that don't have an IPv6 address configured (by
pointing it to an IPv6 DNS Server).

The reason I'm asking this question is because eventually everything
will go to mainly IPv6 (my personal belief), and if an IPv6 DNS server
will resolve both IPv4/6 addresses, it would make sense to use that
(just to be prepared, I mean). The issue that I personally have is that
the Amahi Control script (amahi-ctrl) assigns it's DNS entries. I can
run a different script to change the DNS entries--but I would like to
see them have IPv6 ones by default. Unless of course this will break an
IPv4 only, or IPv4/IPv6 dual network.

Thanks for all of your help so far, and have a great day.:)
Patrick.