[Dnsmasq-discuss] gatway

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Oct 14 11:37:08 BST 2013

On 12/10/13 10:48, Vladislav Grishenko wrote:
> Hi, Simon,
>
> Thanks for the implementation, works well with one issue is still there
> RDNSS&  DNS Search List RA options contain lifetimes calculated from
> MaxRtrAdvInterval, where MaxRtrAdvInterval =<ra-interval>, and
> MinRtrAdvInterval = 3/4*<ra-interval>
> Since, there's no way to specify MinRtrAdvInterval&  MaxRtrAdvInterval (as I
> proposed before), RDNSS&  DNS Search List lifetimes always equal
> 2*<ra-interval>.
> So, if<ra-interval>  is small, like 10sec, that lifetimes are small too,
> just 20sec, without any connection to<router lifetime>. Hosts may refresh
> RDNSS info with RS packets and trigger solicited RA answers in addition to
> existing unsolicited RA packets.
> In the same time, with working DHCPv6 stateless/full lifetime is taken from
> dhcp-range, 600 sec as min.
>
> In radvd, MinRtrAdvInterval, MaxRtrAdvInterval, DefaultLifetime and other
> lifetimes can be set via conf file,
> In dnsmasq they are automatic, guess automatic needs to be tuned up.
> What do you think?

I think you're right that it needs tuning. The calculation for prefix
valid times is a good model. That's based on the lifetime in the
DHCP-range, but with a minimum of 3 * RA_interval as an imposed minimum.

The problem with that is that RDNSS and DNSSL are per interface, not
per-prefix. Maybe the calculation should the maximum valid time of any
prefix advertised on the interface?