[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq queries external dns servers even if dnsmasq is the authorized server for that domain.

René van Dorst opensource at vdorst.com
Mon Oct 21 10:33:35 BST 2013

I am using a real domain and using dnsmasq a master authorized server.
Dnsmasq syncs it data to a slave nameserver on the internet.
The slave nameserver get all the all the routerable IPv6 address that are handout by dnsmasq.
So I am able to ping my wifi router by it's ipv6 address.

I think the "auth-zone" is enough to disable the external look-up.

Jim Alles <kb3tbx at gmail.com> , 20-10-2013 3:54:
Just ask it to,

There are other methods of specifying this, but this is for a dnsmasq.conf example:
local=/example.com/ #private queries are only answered locally

Other possibly useful settings:
bogus-priv #blocks private address forwarding
This seems to work the IPv4 address but not IPv6.

except-interface=eth? (WAN)

This option is used to disable dnsmasq on the specific interface.

domain-needed #blocks incomplete external requests

I got a full domain name as a request like "ND-Wifi.example.com".

Greats,

René