[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq queries external dns servers even if dnsmasq is the authorized server for that domain.

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 14:00:02 BST 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 5:33 AM, René van Dorst <opensource at vdorst.com> wrote:
>> I am using a real domain and using dnsmasq a master authorized server.
>> Dnsmasq syncs it data to a slave nameserver on the internet.
>> The slave nameserver get all the all the routerable IPv6 address that are
>> handout by dnsmasq.
>> So I am able to ping my wifi router by it's ipv6 address.
>>
>> I think the "auth-zone" is enough to disable the external look-up.

> Jim Alles <kb3tbx at gmail.com> , 20-10-2013 3:54:
> Other possibly useful settings:
Sorry to cloud the issue.

> bogus-priv #blocks private address forwarding
This probably would not be helpful at all, in your case, even though
it is a good idea, in general.

And I am afraid I am not set up to use IPv6 just yet, so I will have
to defer to others, at this point.

Other than I am here to learn, and I just read about this:
http://www.isaserver.org/articles-tutorials/installation-planning/You_Need_to_Create_a_Split_DNS.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-horizon_DNS

I do not know how dnsmasq could be used in this fashion.
Peace,
Jim A.