[Dnsmasq-discuss] interface+macvlan on same network confuses dnsmasq v2.66rc2

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Tue Oct 22 17:16:11 BST 2013

On 10/22/2013 05:45 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 21/10/13 20:31, Gui Iribarren wrote:
>> Hello Simon!

> My hunch is that this is something to do with ARP.

indeed! i'm sorry i didn't provide tcpdumps
you're right, instead of the expected DHCPOFFER, all i got on the client
were endless ARP requests for the would-be-offered IP, coming from the
router

so, what you're saying is that dnsmasq is prepopulating the ARP cache
pointing to the wrong interface?

# arp -a
IP address       HW type     Flags       HW address            Mask
Device
192.168.11.20    0x1         0x2         20:16:d8:65:4d:29     *
br-lan

that's on the router, just after asking for a lease from the client,
with dnsmasq.conf containing no-dhcp-interface=br-lan

Then, do you think there's any chance of getting that arp trick point to
'anygw'?

i'll try dhcp-broadcast later today
what would be the downsides / cons of having dhcp-broadcast permanently
enabled? maybe some broken clients?

thanks a lot!

gui