[Dnsmasq-discuss] Distributed lease database on a mesh, using batman-adv alfred

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Sat Nov 2 22:15:29 GMT 2013

On 11/02/2013 09:47 PM, Weedy wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2013 16:31, "Gui Iribarren" <gui at altermundi.net
> <mailto:gui at altermundi.net>> wrote:
>  > Problem is, there's no way to update dnsmasq internal database from
> outside (i.e. when alfred gets new info from another node); SIGHUP will
> not make dnsmasq call dhcp-script "init", only a full restart will do,
> and we'd rather not kill and respawn dnsmasq whenever a new lease is
> given in any part of the cloud :P
>  >
>  > Simon, any chance of having dnsmasq call "init" on dhcp-script (or
> lua-hook, if it's simpler) when getting a SIGHUP (or another, dedicated
> signal, for that matter)?
>
> Simon mentioned before why dnsmasq can't "reload" it's config because it
> drops privileges. But I can't see a reason why we can't reread
> /etc/ethers and the client cache (for me that's in /tmp/).
>
> I would welcome a "state update" signal of some sort.

actually it already *does* re-read /etc/ethers

# logread -f &
# killall -HUP dnsmasq
Sat Nov  2 22:12:15 2013 daemon.info dnsmasq[1056]: read /etc/hosts - 1
addresses
Sat Nov  2 22:12:15 2013 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[1056]: read
/etc/ethers - 0 addresses

what's missing is calling "dhcp-script init" to re-initialise internal
view of the lease database