[Dnsmasq-discuss] Distributed lease database on a mesh, using batman-adv alfred

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Tue Nov 5 08:27:18 GMT 2013

On 11/04/2013 03:49 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 02/11/13 20:30, Gui Iribarren wrote:

> Calling "init" after startup would be "interesting" to implement. All
> the other script calls apart from "init", are handled by a separate
> process. This is for two reasons: 1) It allows the script calls to be as
> root, even when the main dnsmasq daemon drops root. 2) It makes a queue
> of events, so that the main dnsmasq process doesn't block whilst the
> script is running. This architecture makes it pretty much impossible to
> pass information from the script back to dnsmasq.
>

> The "init" call is done from the main dnsmasq process, before it drops
> root, and before it has to worry about being blocked. Running "init"
> again that way isn't possible, for obvious reasons.
>
> I wonder is a better solution would be to use DBus for IPC? We could add
> an "Update lease-database row" method to the DBus interface. That would
> eliminate most of the problems, and might work better than having to
> reload the whole database each time it changes. How does that sound?

sounds perfect!
our script is written in lua so i guess the DBus call won't be hard to
do from our side

i'm happy you understood the idea :D
if we get this right, it'd achieve a kind of "high-availability" dnsmasq
deployment, i.e. several instances on one link-local using a distributed
database
which i believe will be interesting in itself, outside of our particular
scenario

cheers!