[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can't ping when using FQDN

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 12:58:20 GMT 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 5:08 AM, Guillaume Betous <guillaume.betous at gmail.com
> wrote:

> what kind of local domain name can I use ? I thought the .local was
> reserved for local networks...

Since both .lan and .local can be problematic under certain circumstances
(especially public upstream DNS servers, such as google, opendns, and
others); I have used .localnet, from the dnsmasq FAQ:

Q: Names on the internet are working fine, but looking up local names
   from /etc/hosts or DHCP doesn't seem to work.

A: Resolver code sometime does strange things when given names without
   any dots in. Win2k and WinXP may not use the DNS at all and just
   try and look up the name using WINS. On unix look at "options ndots:"
   in "man resolv.conf" for details on this topic. Testing lookups
   using "nslookup" or "dig" will work, but then attempting to run
   "ping" will get a lookup failure, appending a dot to the end of the
   hostname  will fix things. (ie "ping myhost" fails, but "ping
   myhost." works. The solution is to make sure that all your hosts
   have a domain set ("domain" in resolv.conf, or set a domain in
   your DHCP server, see below for Windows XP and Mac OS X).
   Any domain  will do, but "localnet" is traditional. Now when you
   resolve "myhost" the resolver will attempt to look up
   "myhost.localnet" so you need to have dnsmasq reply to that name.
   The way to do that is to include the domain in each name on
   /etc/hosts  and/or to use the --expand-hosts and --domain options.

Jim A.