[Dnsmasq-discuss] multiple instances and DNS names from DHCP cache

Matthew Monaco matt at 0x01b.net
Fri Nov 8 15:46:45 GMT 2013

Hello,

I have a static only --dhcp-range and I use a host's MAC address for providing
an IP address and hostname (no locally configured hostname).

I have multiple instances of dnsmasq (for redundancy) running with identical
configuration files with the exception that each instance prioritizes itself in
--dhcp-option=option:dns-server,0.0.0.0,<others>.

Is it the case that the DHCP cache will only work for DNS if dnsmasq has leased
out the address? This doesn't work well with multiple DHCP servers on he
network. I think a workaround is to specify everything in /etc/hosts, but I'm
reluctant to have to configure every host in /etc/hosts and --dhcp-host.

Thank you!
Matt