[Dnsmasq-discuss] Record FQDN on DHCPv6 INFORM

Roy Marples roy at marples.name
Tue Nov 12 15:26:06 GMT 2013

Hi List

The majority of my IPv6 capable hardware doesn't grok DHCPv6.
This is fine and dandy, because it understands RS/RA just fine and some
even work with the RDNSS and DNSSL RA options.
The way that I see it is that the RA can set the O bit so that a well
formed client can then request extra information by DHCPv6.
This is in-fact needed as the Windows machines on the network don't grok
RDNSS or DNSSL in the RA.

As such I handle all IPv6 address assignment using SLAAC entirely to
avoid interfaces getting dual addresses and then scratching it's head
over which one it should use.

The only problem with this is DNS - currently dnsmasq does not record
the FQDN sent in a DHCPv6 INFORMATION REQUEST message.
Does anyone see a problem with recording this information? Useful for
DHCPv4 as well?
Could this be recorded in the leases file safely?

Thanks

Roy