[Dnsmasq-discuss] Record FQDN on DHCPv6 INFORM

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Nov 13 13:31:39 GMT 2013

On 12/11/13 15:26, Roy Marples wrote:
> Hi List
>
> The majority of my IPv6 capable hardware doesn't grok DHCPv6.
> This is fine and dandy, because it understands RS/RA just fine and some
> even work with the RDNSS and DNSSL RA options.
> The way that I see it is that the RA can set the O bit so that a well
> formed client can then request extra information by DHCPv6.
> This is in-fact needed as the Windows machines on the network don't grok
> RDNSS or DNSSL in the RA.
>
> As such I handle all IPv6 address assignment using SLAAC entirely to
> avoid interfaces getting dual addresses and then scratching it's head
> over which one it should use.
>
> The only problem with this is DNS - currently dnsmasq does not record
> the FQDN sent in a DHCPv6 INFORMATION REQUEST message.
> Does anyone see a problem with recording this information? Useful for
> DHCPv4 as well?
> Could this be recorded in the leases file safely?

So, your proposal is that dnsmasq should record the FQDN against the
source address of the INFORMATION REQUEST message? That's not currently
done, but it may well be possible.

There is a mechanism for naming hosts with SLAAC addresses that depends
on the also doing DHCPv4 and supplying the name that way. See "ra-names"
in the man page.