[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq doesn't provide IP address to udhcpc?

Tom Isaacson Tom.Isaacson at navico.com
Tue Nov 26 21:29:05 GMT 2013

> "what I've done to fix it" is easy. The first thing you tried translates as "force broadcast mode when doing BOOTP". Since you're not doing BOOTP,
> it makes no difference. The second attempt says "force broadcast mode when NOT doing BOOTP" and unsurprisingly works better.
> Best, would probably be to make it unconditional;

> dhcp-broadcast

I tried adding this to dnsmasq.conf but I get " missing parameter at line 5 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf". "dhcp-broadcast=" causes a segmentation fault.

> As to why using broadcast works, but you never see an offer otherwise, then that's more difficult. When not doing broadcast,
> the DHCPOFFER has to be sent to an unconfigured host which can't reply to ARP requests. To make this work dnsmasq stuffs the MAC address,
> IP address, device triple into the ARP table "manually", so that when it sends the DHCPOFFER to 192.168.0.45 the kernel can get it to the right place.
> My guess is that something is going wrong in that process, but since it's worked well for over a decade, I'm not sure what.
> Is there anything unusual about the network interface and routing configuration on the the server box?

The WAP is running a Ralink RT3050 with the Ralink SDK but it's being done for us by a Chinese manufacturer. Judging by the amount of testing and debugging I'm having to do it's entirely possible they done something weird without realising it!

Thanks

Tom