[Dnsmasq-discuss] (no subject)

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Dec 6 21:37:05 GMT 2013

On 06/12/13 19:20, Roy Marples wrote:
> Hi List
>
> I've been adding RFC3925 Vendor-Identifying Vendor Options to dhcpcd(8)
> and testing against dnsmasq-2.67
>
> I added this to dnsmasq.conf:
> dhcp-option=vi-encap:12345, 1, "It is pitch black. You are likely to be
> eaten by a grue."
> dhcp-option=vi-encap:12345, 2, 100
>
> I added this to dhcpcd.conf (only works from my GIT head if anyone plays
> with it)
> vendopt 12345 encap frobozzco
> encap 1 string maze_location
> encap 2 byte grue_probability
>
> Firstly, dnsmasq says my 2nd config line is incorrect. How can I add a
> 2nd option?

It fails at startup? I can't reproduce that. What's the exact message?

> Secondly, this works via DHCPv4, but doesn't work for DHCPv6. How can I
> debug this? Wireshark shows a correct trace with the same enterprise
> number as the DHCPv4 trace.
> By work dhcpcd sets:
> new_frobozzco_maze_location='It is pitch black. You are likely to be
> eaten by a grue.'

The relevant code for DHCPv6 has likely never been used in anger, so
it's not inconceivable that it's buggy.

Are you simply missing the OPTION_VENDOR_OPTS option in the reply?
Looking at the code, if there's an OPTION_ORO, then OPTION_VENDOR_OPTS
must appear in it, unless you use dhcp-option-force.