[Dnsmasq-discuss] Load balancing between multiple forward servers

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Dec 12 09:55:56 GMT 2013

On 11/12/13 17:32, Dallas Engelken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running, dnsmasq version 2.48.
>
> In my config, I have
>
> server=/my.domain/1.2.3.4
> server=/my.domain/2.3.4.5
>
> But when I query www.my.domain, all queries go to 1.2.3.4, and never
> 2.3.4.5
>
> I have also tried enabling *all-servers* as well in the config, but
> according to the log, it never sends queries to both 1.2.3.4 and 2.3.4.5
>
> Is this not possible? Or am I missing something here?

The second (2.3.4.5) will be used in some circumstances (if a query to
the first times out, or the first returns an error), but servers for
particular domains aren't load-balanced in the same way as genera;-query
servers. This is arguably not optimal, but changing it is probably done
by a major rewrite of some fairly knarly code, and it's never got to the
top of the TODO list.