[Dnsmasq-discuss] all I wanted to do was temporarily dnsMASQ some addresses

jidanni at jidanni.org jidanni at jidanni.org
Fri Dec 13 12:06:05 GMT 2013

Why is this such a giant hassle?

All I want to do is convert these three commands,

pdnsd-ctl add cname localhost radioscanningtw.jidanni.org 999999
pdnsd-ctl record radioscanningtw.jidanni.org delete
pdnsd-ctl dump radioscanningtw.jidanni.org
pdnsd-ctl dump #everything

into their dnsmasq equivalents.
The stuff on the dnsmasq page doesn't work.
as resolveip shows me. nothing happens.

I'm on Debian.
Yes OK I will grudgingly do
/etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop
and the run a shell script.

All I want to do is make those addresses resolve to localhost
temporarily, do some work, and then remove the address diversion.

I already submitted

Please don't say I must change system files. I want to put everything in
a shell script.

Also despite the man page, I can't get a fine grained log of every
little action on STDERR.

Nor can I get a full dump of what is currently in dnsmasq's brain.