[Dnsmasq-discuss] all I wanted to do was temporarily dnsMASQ some addresses

Bill C Riemers briemers at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 17:50:31 GMT 2013

I'm abit confused here about the request.

He doesn't want to change system files so he can put everything in a shell script.

Why can't one change system files from a shell script???

That said, given his hypothesis that he can't do it, I would say then the solution is simply to specify alternate files in the command line.

e.g. A combination of -h and -H options would allow the specification of a temporary hosts file generated by the script...

Of course he still needs to update system files for the initial install of dnsmasq.   You aren't going to have any effect if you haven't update /etc/resolv.conf to point localhost...

Bill