[Dnsmasq-discuss] ARP ignores DHCP ACKs !

Nikita N. nikitan at operamail.com
Tue Dec 24 21:48:53 GMT 2013

yes Jim, ipv6 is enabled on my win7, but it doesnt seem to bother.. ipv6
frames just fly away ignored, nobody cares I guess.. ;)

Wanted to ask to Simon about those ICMP frames you are talking about..
are they "mandatory", I mean they "must" receive an answer for the
connection to stay alive, or they can just be dropped?

I made few tests about ICMP frames, they appear from client to GW as
soon as a DNS query is answered, at least in XP and Vista looks so..
As soon as dnsmasq DNS answers "www.test.com is at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx",
client sends a ICMP to GW (host unreach,port unreach), I can see them
either in the traces from GW and from client as well..
So I did that test: I instructed the GW to drop all ICMP frames incoming
and outcoming (ipfilter on GW interface) .
As result, connection stays alive anyway in XP and Vista, no matter
client ICMP dont get any answer back..
Is that normal behavior? if yes, Im going to keep that ICMP drop filter,
so to get rid of all those useless frames.. :P

About Win7, I cant see any ICMP, nor in or out.. I cant get anyway to
see any DNS req either from client ..
That is most strange, isnt it?

Im keeping testing..

  http://www.fastmail.fm/help/overview_quotes.html