[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature request: dhcp-host add new flag "keep/persist/retain/allways" .

René van Dorst opensource at vdorst.com
Fri Jan 17 09:38:24 GMT 2014

I really would like to have an option to allways include a dhcp-host even the host is not online.

I am using a printer which has a web interface to scan.
I can go the printer with the domain printer.mydomain.nl.
But when the printer is offline, dnsmasq tells my browser that the domain doesn't exists.
And it takes a while before the browser refreshes it's dns cache.
That is a bit annoying.
So by adding a extra flag like "keep" or "retain" to the dhcp-host this can be prevented for the ipv4 part.
In my case "dhcp-host=98:4b:e1:xx:xx:xx,192.168.10.241,"PRINTER"" all the information is present to create a dns entry.

I think it is also useful for other server like devices which have a fix dynamic ip and are switched off to save power.

Greats,

René