[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPv6 and MAC

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Feb 4 20:58:33 GMT 2014

On 29/01/14 09:53, Shai Venter wrote:
> Hello /Simon Kelley/
>
> Referring to
>
> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2013q1/006818.html
>
> The thread mainly focuses on Operating System side of a IPv6 dhclient
> functions.
>
> But here are other aspects of the issue, more difficult to figure out:
>
> The World of UEFI IPv6 network boot agents residing on a system’s FW
> (a.k.a UNDI)
>
> Host Management (BMC’s) that support IPv6
>
> For those two dhclients, an administrator’s nightmare begins in trying
> to understand what DUID approach was chosen by the original manufacturer
> ( the vendor )
>
> And that would only go down the hill if more than one NIC exist in the
> system
>
> Can you please comment on that, knowing what you know on DUID approach
>
> How can a network administrator have control of the IP address
> assignment for specific clients, in a DHCP server/dnsmasq config, to
> clients of the types I described above
>
> This is just food for thought …
>
> Shai Venter,
>
> NIC FW QA engineer
>
> Mellanox Technologies LTD

The whole DUID approach sucks badly when you want to provision
equipment. Most times, even if there's a stable DUID associated with
each piece of hardware, there's no way to enumerate that into a
provisioning database ahead of actually doing the provisioning.
Data-centre jockeys have managed to persuade the builders of blade
systems, servers, and storage gear that they need a way to harvest
hardware-IDs, after a long struggle, and what they've got is a way to
harvest MAC addresses. Therefore you need to be able to provision using
MAC addresses.

Note that things are improving with DHCPv6, the latest release of
dnsmasq _can_ associate IPv6 addresses with MAC addresses.