[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSCrypt - the big picture

Lonnie Abelbeck lists at lonnie.abelbeck.com
Fri Feb 7 13:55:21 GMT 2014

On Feb 7, 2014, at 7:15 AM, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Lonnie Abelbeck
> <lists at lonnie.abelbeck.com> wrote:
>> I admit is is nice to know that no-one is silently altering DNS queries/responses in transit to a trusted DNS server, but is that being overly paranoid ?
>>
>> Appreciate any comments...
> I treat dnscrypt as a way to prevent query snooping by my ISP, not as
> means to prevent altering.

Thanks for your thoughts Maciej, but since the ISP routes (and logs stats) the network data anyway, there isn't much "privacy" to be gained by preventing DNS query snooping, is there ?

I'm thinking DNSCrypt's best feature is preventing man-in-the-middle attacks between the router and the trusted DNS server.

Lonnie