[Dnsmasq-discuss] What IP to use for ad/track blocking?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Feb 12 10:28:29 GMT 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:16:57AM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > I have a few entries in my dnsmasq.conf file to block some tracking
> > sites, as follows:-
> >
> >     address=/www.addthis.com/127.0.0.1
> >     address=/googlesyndication.com/127.0.0.1
> >     address=/google-analytics.com/127.0.0.1
> >     address=/googleadservices.com/127.0.0.1
> >     address=/doubleclick.net/127.0.0.1
> >     address=/finder.cox.net/127.0.0.1
> Try to return NXDOMAIN so that the connection is not even made. Example:
>
> server=/double-click.net/googlesyndication.com/google-analytics.com/
>
> and so on. This makes dnsmasq say the domain doesn't exist.
>
> Maciej Soltysiak

Excellent idea, thank you.  I had to go and read the man page for
dnsmasq to see why this works but I think it's probably the best answer.

I don't worry so much about the tracking these sites do but the slow
down they cause annoys me.  So when I see several seconds wasted going
to google-analytics.com I want to do something about it.

--
Chris Green