[Dnsmasq-discuss] Interface based DNS names

klondike klondike at klondike.es
Fri Feb 21 04:59:01 UTC 2014

Hi!

Maybe this is already on dnsmasq and I'm missing it, but I really
couldn't find it.

At Gothemburg Hackerspace we use dnsmasq to provide DHCP and DNS
services to the different networks. The service is provided on the
router and there are a few different networks.

In an ideal world, it would be possible to tune the reply depending on
the network the request came from to avoid unnecessary routing accross
VLANs, for example if a request is sent for router.lan from the
10.10.0.0/16 network the reply would be 10.10.0.1 but if it is sent from
10.60.0.0/16 the reply would be 10.60.0.1 this would provide the
possibility of having the servers listening on trunk lines with tagged
VLANs on the switch so routing would be unnecessary to access them.

In the worst case being able to just reply to some requests with the
interface name would simplify things a lot. So, is either of them
possible? If so: how?

Thanks a lot for your insights.
klondike