[Dnsmasq-discuss] Use of "server=8.8.8.8" not the same as "server=/#/8.8.8.8" ?

Jesse Molina jesse at opendreams.net
Fri Feb 21 11:07:32 UTC 2014

Greetings

I was recently configuring an OpenWRT router, which uses Dnsmasq version
2.62.

I expected that when I configured a forwarder via the "server="
configuration option, without a domain (the man page says domains are
optional), it would behave like a wildcard and override the resolv-file,
which has a different set of DNS servers.

The man page says "If one or more optional domains are given, that
server is used only for those domains and they are queried only using
the specified server."

"server=8.8.8.8" appears to do nothing. What is this doing, if anything?

So, perhaps "//8.8.8.8" would be the correct syntax? Nope, does not seem
to work.

"/#/8.8.8.8" works as expected and seems to be the correct answer.