[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPV6 Prefix Delegation (IA_PD)

Tsachi tsachi.kimel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 16:11:02 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
> On 27/02/14 10:46, Tsachi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I might be wrong, but from what I understand from the man (and the
>> code), dnsmasq does not support replying to IA_PD (prefix delegation)
>> requests.
>
> You're right, though this may change in the future.
Thanks

>> Deployed as a router, I have a case which I am using dnsmasq
>> (ipv4/ipv6) and I want to be able to answer PD requests (from a
>> different router).
>> Is there a way to do that with dnsmasq ?
>
> You mean have DHCP-PD server that's running on a different machine?
> DHCPv6 has the same capability as DHCPv4 to have more than one DHCP
> server on a network. The client is supposed to pick whichever one works
> best for it, so _in theory_ running another DHCPv6 server just for
> DHCP-PD should work. I've certainly never tried it.

I meant something like this (pardon my drawing skills) :

---|
---|
---|-----LAN-------------[Router A]-------------(<-State-full IA_NA
and IA_PD->)------------[Router B (with
---|
---|

Router A will be using state-full DHCPv6 with IA_NA and IA_PD.
Router B (with dnsmasq) suppose to reply it.
I think that IA_NA is supported and understand that the IA_PD is not.

Later on, Router A will use RA (O=1 M=0) and stateless DHCPv6 for LAN side.

Cheers
Tsachi