[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq, NetworkManager and VPNs

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Mar 6 01:39:48 UTC 2014

Hi All,
        I'm a new user of dnsmasq and I can't see an easy way to do what
I want to do.

My situation is (probably not that uncommon) I need to connect to a work
VPN and while I'm connected to said VPN I need to query work's DNS
servers for company.com addresses but all other queries should go
through my normal (as supplied by DHCP) DNS servers.

I tried adding a config file like:
server=/company.com/DNS_SERVER_1 at interface
server=/company.com/DNS_SERVER_2 at interface
server=/I.P.ADDR.in-addr.arpa/DNS_SERVER_1 at interface
server=/I.P.ADDR.in-addr.arpa/DNS_SERVER_2 at interface

Now my problem is that if that file exists when dnsmasq starts and my
VPN interface isn't up, dnsmasq prints an error and exits.  This is
especially painful as I'm starting dnsmasq from NetworkManager (by
setting dns=dnsmasq in the NetworkManager config file)

I can run a script that adds and removes the config file on VPN up/down
events but I can't find a way to re-read all the config files for a
running dnsmasq process.

My next thought was to use the dbus interface to "inject" the above
configuration to the running dnsmasq server, but I don't see a syntax
that will remove the configuration when I take down my VPN.

So any advice? this must be possible, perhaps I just need to be more
creative.

Tony.