[Dnsmasq-discuss] Setting dns domain name through dhcpv6

Roy Marples roy at marples.name
Sat Mar 8 09:26:22 UTC 2014

On 08/03/2014 8:36, Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 07/03/14 21:42, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using dnsmasq 2.66 to provide my local network with ipv4 dhcp, and
>> ipv6 information requests (ip addressing is handled by my router).
>>
>> I'm able to to provide clients with a dns-server and such through
>> dhcpv6, but I'm failing to find the dhcp option that sets 'domain
>> lan.example.org' in /etc/resolv.conf, i.e. the v6 equivalent of
>> dhcp-option=option:domain-name,lan.example.org
>>
>> Can anyone enlighten me? I've searching through
>> https://www.iana.org/assignments/dhcpv6-parameters/dhcpv6-parameters.xhtml
>> but I'm failing to find something useful...
>
> What you want is option 39, OPTION_CLIENT_FQDN

domain in resolv.conf(5) isn't normally used. I wouldn't expect any DHCP
clients to put it there based on the FQDN.
dhcpcd(8) does :)

What you probably want is option 24, OPTION_DOMAIN_LIST which I would
expect every DHCP client to fill out the search entry instead of the
domain entry.
If you read resolv.conf(5) you'll find that both pretty much do the same
thing, but search allows >1 entry.

Roy