[Dnsmasq-discuss] Stats improvement

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:21:25 UTC 2014

I would certainly like to have a standard way of getting these
statistics, through the dns, perhaps one unified with whatever bind
and unbound use (or don't use.)

Not a lot of people seem to be aware of why dns caching forwarders are
so great, although benchmarks like namebench against your chrome or
firefox cache are quite revealing, parsing huge network captures as
I am presently to try to get a grip on timings for dns/response
pairing is a pita and not router centric.

However:

Do check out namebench, it's pretty cool. It does bug me that in tests
against the alexa top 2000 that it invariably selects some other dns
server besides your local one as being the "best", because it has
the best average - as if you regularly go to websites in timbuktu and
care about the response time more than, say, google.

Example against alexa top 2000 with a fresh cache:

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/namebench/namebench_2014-03-20_1255.html

It is much better to test against your more common query set, which I
don't have a snapshot of on that site presently - usually 40% or more
of queries are resolved in a ms, 30% or so via your ISP in under 20ms.

I'd love to see people posting namebench results from against their
firefox/chrome caches... it's in apt on ubuntu at least....

the version I have is buggy, you have to hit control-C at least once
for the gui to come up.

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
> On 24/03/14 11:25, Olivier Mauras wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering what would be the effort, and if there'd
>> actually be any interest for some dnsmasq statistics improvements. (Yes
>> i'm splitting dicussions ^^)
>> For monitoring/graph purposes, actual
>> dnsmasq stats are a bit difficult to use and completely unusable if
>> using "log_queries" as it takes too long to retrieve them inside
>> logs.
>>
>> I'd love to see a stats "interface" that would output
>> total_queries, cache_hits, cache_misses, memory used by cache,
>> etc....
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Olivier
>>

> There's an idea to make this available as a DNS query, in the same way that
>

> dig chaos txt version.bind
>
> returns the version number.
>
> Comments?
>
> Cheers,