[Dnsmasq-discuss] Stats improvement

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:50:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would certainly like to have a standard way of getting these
> statistics, through the dns, perhaps one unified with whatever bind
> and unbound use (or don't use.)
>
> Not a lot of people seem to be aware of why dns caching forwarders are
> so great, although benchmarks like namebench against your chrome or
> firefox cache are quite revealing, parsing huge network captures as
> I am presently to try to get a grip on timings for dns/response
> pairing is a pita and not router centric.
>
> However:
>
> Do check out namebench, it's pretty cool. It does bug me that in tests
> against the alexa top 2000 that it invariably selects some other dns
> server besides your local one as being the "best", because it has
> the best average - as if you regularly go to websites in timbuktu and
> care about the response time more than, say, google.
>
> Example against alexa top 2000 with a fresh cache:
>
> http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/namebench/namebench_2014-03-20_1255.html
>
> It is much better to test against your more common query set, which I
> don't have a snapshot of on that site presently - usually 40% or more
> of queries are resolved in a ms, 30% or so via your ISP in under 20ms.
>
> I'd love to see people posting namebench results from against their
> firefox/chrome caches... it's in apt on ubuntu at least....
>
> the version I have is buggy, you have to hit control-C at least once
> for the gui to come up.

I just did a namebench test against my local firefox cache (without clearing
dnsmasq's caches)

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/namebench/namebench_2014-03-24_1541.html

note that I have three dns servers in place - one on my local machine,
a dnsmasq locally that is sending stuff over ipv6 to another dnsmasq
which is then connected over ipv4 and ipv6 to comcasts forwarders.

--
Dave Täht