[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq doesn't send RA

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:06:00 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane at 22decembre.eu> wrote:
> Le jeudi 27 mars 2014, 10:30:30 John Gorkos a écrit :
>> This sounds remarkably similar to the problem I described here:
>> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2013q4/0078
>> 10.html Mine is on a Debian system, but the symptoms are the same.
>>
>> I never did find a solution.  I simply run radvd in parallel with
>> dnsmasq. John Gorkos
>>

> the good thing with dnsmasq is that it can replace four softwares
> (dhcp4 and 6, dns,ra) at once, with simple conf coordinated together.

The ra-names feature worked for cerowrt for over a year. Is it possible you
are having the problem with picking up addresses that had expiry
times? (fixed in head, sorta)

easy test: create a second static ipv6 address on the box and see if ra's work:

for example, if your system has

    inet6 2001:db8::1/64  scope global
       valid_lft 544 preferred_lft 8321

do an ip -6 addr add 2001:db8::2/64 and see if that triggers dnsmasq
to send ras.

> But you don't have dnssec validation, nor nat64 (that's fine if
> everything the rest works, you can waith for the function to be
> mature).
>
> If you can't do ra again and serve the corresponding ipv6 names, that
> begin to be really annoying...
>
> If I need to run radvd seperately, I think I am going to switch back
> to dhcp and unbound (which are already setup).

Dave Täht