[Dnsmasq-discuss] Stats improvement

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 16:35:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:

> On 26/03/14 05:12, Olivier Mauras wrote:
>> Yes it should definitely be TXT records. Sounds really good to me.
>>
>> for upstream servers, why not having upstream.bind return total
>> queries forwarded + list of upstream servers that can then be check
>> individually with: dig TXT <server1>.upstream.bind
>
> OK. Code in git now.
>
> Try eg
>
> dig +short chaos txt misses.bind
>
> and
>
> dig +short chaos txt servers.bind

I haven't looked at the code yet, but my take on this was originally that
I'd wanted a single dns reply for all the statistics (can live
without), 64 bit counters, and not only tracking misses but the
latency cost of a miss. Then there are misses that are never
resolved... and (even harder), things like a 5 minute rolling
average... and a breakdown by query type (AAAA, A, DS, etc)

gettimeofday() is very efficient on modern linuxes (it gets the time from a
shared page cache without even making a syscall), but I can see that
you might want to be able to compile that out.

And I wasn't expecting you to get to it in this release! Just basic stats is
great....

--
Dave Täht