[Dnsmasq-discuss] Running a script after a resolution request

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sat Mar 29 17:38:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 07:53:35PM +0000, Simon Kelley wrote:
> I'm not sure that the time-to-live value is a sensible thing to use
> here. If the authoritative TTL of a domain is, for example, 600
> seconds, then when you make a query, you'll get a TTL of anything
> between 600 seconds and 1 second. The one second answer occurs if
> the recursive nameserver queried the authoritative nameserver 559
> seconds ago, and cached the answer. Unless you're running a
> nameserver which will always talk to the authoritative nameserver,
> there's no way to know what the TTL is configured to. Dnsmasq
> doesn't talk directly to the authoritative nameserver, so it can't
> tell you.

A point of possible interest here is that BIND 9.10 (now in second
beta release) will have a prefetch feature, whereby expiring cache
entries will be looked up again before expiring. If a given record
will be frequently queried, it will be there in the cache.

I guess this is only of interest if, as Simon said, you are running
your own recursive server which dnsmasq is using. But if not, you
perhaps should consider it; named on an alternate port is very
simple.

(My apologies if I totally missed the point of the thread.)
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/