[Dnsmasq-discuss] Query regarding --leasefile-ro

Nehal J Wani nehaljw.kkd1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:33:01 UTC 2014

> That looks sensible. I guess from these questions that you're thinking
> about storing the lease database just in the custom format, and using
> --leasefile-ro

Right now, libvirt stores all leases for each interface in separate
files. That is, one lease database per dnsmasq instance, it does so,
on the basis of the environment variable DNSMASQ_INTERFACE (I know
that it is not set in case of del events everytime). The trouble is,
when it gets the argument 'init', how will my helper program know
which database it has to read and print to stdout? Suppose if we have
only one lease database for all dnsmasq instances, how will the leases
helper program distinguish between different interfaces (that is, for
which interface should I print info, if I get 'init' as argument)? How
does it happen by default, when none of --dhcp-script and
--leasefile-ro are provided?

Thanking You,
Nehal J Wani