[Dnsmasq-discuss] Fwd: dnsmasq : how to configure for pxe over http

D.L.C. Burggraaff burdi02 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:10:42 BST 2014

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your quick response. It certainly helped me, but nevertheless
it took me several days to find a working solution. All google results,
either directly or indirectly, seemed to indicate that the http redirection
should be *for* the pxelinux.cfg/default file -- as my initial script
shows, or via the 209/210 dhcp options. First when it dawned upon me that
the http redirection should be *in* the  pxelinux.cfg/default file I got
things working.

So my dnsmasq invocation now reads:

*dnsmasq --enable-tftp --tftp-root=$PXEDIR --dhcp-range=$SUBNET.50,proxy
\   --pxe-service=x86PC,"Booting from the network: this may take a
while...",lpxelinux*

and my pxelinux.cfg/default file now reads:

*DEFAULT pmagic# Boot the entire ISO over PXE.LABEL pmagicLINUX
http://123.123.123.123/pxe/pmagic/memdisk
<http://123.123.123.123/pxe/pmagic/memdisk>INITRD
http://123.123.123.123/pxe/pmagic/pmagic_2014_06_10.iso
<http://123.123.123.123/pxe/pmagic/pmagic_2014_06_10.iso>APPEND iso*
As an aside, the "lpxelinux.0" is the recent syslinux successor to
gpexlinux.

Kind regards, Dick