[Dnsmasq-discuss] Configuration to kick off devices after a certain time

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 21:52:22 BST 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 08:45:05PM +0200, Elrippo wrote:
> I have dnsmasq running on an Ubuntu 12.04 server with Ethernet
> and wlan (hostapd) networks.
> I have a wlan network with 3 subnets, where one subnet is used
> for testing.
> I would prefer an option where I can define that users, devices
> are kicked off after 15min for an hour.
> Is this, or some kind of, option implemented in dnsmasq?

dnsmasq is a DHCP and DNS server.  As a DHCP server, it could give a
lease valid for only 15 minutes, but no, there's no such feature to
enforce an hour (nor other specified) penalty time between leases.
What happens if a client reboots and forgets its lease in that
interval?  In that case the only thing the server can do is deny a
lease.  (Again: *if* such a feature existed.)

Conversely, what about a renegade client which keeps the leased
address beyond the valid period?  The DHCP server has no way to
reclaim "stolen" leases.

As a DNS server, it could refuse or hijack the client's queries
during a penalty period, but there too, dnsmasq does not have a
feature like that.

I think the closest you will get to your goal is by implementing
something in your firewall.  It won't be trivial to get it right
there, either.  I would look at -m recent and maybe also -m set to
begin with.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/