[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq running on RaspberryPi/ArchLinux slow to relay non-cached queries

guns self at sungpae.com
Sun Aug 17 21:44:36 BST 2014

On Sun 17 Aug 2014 at 01:10:22PM +0800, Peter Bell wrote:

> On 17/08/14 02:30, guns wrote:
>
> >On Fri 15 Aug 2014 at 06:17:37PM +0800, Peter Bell wrote:
> >
> >>I have been experiencing extremely slow browsing performance - as
> >>an example, a 'first' google search takes, typically, 20 seconds to
> >>display the results page - the slowest I've recorded has been 30
> >>seconds. Subsequent google searches complete within 2 seconds.
> >
> >Firefox (and Chromium IIRC) will break down individual HTTP request
> >timings into sections, the first of which is DNS resolution. You can
> >use this to at least confirm that DNS is really the issue while web
> >browsing.
> >
> >     https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Network_Monitor
> >     https://mdn.mozillademos.org/files/7417/nm-timings.png
>
> Wow, that is a useful tool, of which I was not aware.
>
> The results I am seeing show that my problem has little to do with
> name resolution, but to some considerable delays in connecting and,
> sometimes, sending a request. I'm guessing that these will be delays
> at my ISP, or beyond.

traceroute will usually identify the slow link.

I have also read that CDNs offer different IP addresses based on the
geographical region of your nameserver:

    http://blogs.gartner.com/lydia_leong/2008/10/15/the-nameserver-as-cdn-vantage-point/

Might not be your problem, but it's worth thinking about if the
webservers you frequent are geographically remote from your upstream
nameservers.

> However, since this appears to exonorate dnsmasq as the major culprit,
> I will need to find another forum for this discussion ... any
> recommendations?

If you find an obvious bottleneck with traceroute, a solution or
workaround will probably become obvious.

Good luck!

    guns