[Dnsmasq-discuss] Adding Route Information Option to prefixes in RA

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Sep 10 22:15:39 BST 2014

On 10/09/14 15:41, Steven Barth wrote:

> Since this should only happen when RIO and PIO are both /64 (and on-link
> flag is set for the PIO) my work-around in OpenWrt was to simply not
> send the RIO when PIO and RIO would be identical which solved the
> problem for the user. Obviously if RIO and PIO have different sizes this
> shouldn't matter.
>

> As a side note: since afaik Windows is about the only system to support
> and enable RIOs by default and Linux kernel-defaults are to ignore RIOs
> with prefix-length != 0 and Apple not implementing RIO support at all we
> could get in more trouble once more platforms enable RIO-handling by
> default and maybe emitting the same behavior as this host. I didn't
> bother to search the RFCs for what is the correct behaviour in case
> identical RIOs and PIOs exist.

Focusing on the current dnsmasq code, I guess the take-home message here
is that we're probably better off to revert the code which adds RIOs,
for now, as the only RIOs we're sending are exactly the ones which
Steven suggests should be suppressed. Should probably re-visit the issue
of more general support for RIO in the next release.

Is that reasonable?