[Dnsmasq-discuss] Adding Route Information Option to prefixes in RA

Steven Barth cyrus at openwrt.org
Thu Sep 11 07:36:08 BST 2014

> Focusing on the current dnsmasq code, I guess the take-home message here
> is that we're probably better off to revert the code which adds RIOs,
> for now, as the only RIOs we're sending are exactly the ones which
> Steven suggests should be suppressed. Should probably re-visit the issue
> of more general support for RIO in the next release.
Possibly rare client issues aside if you announce a prefix both using an
on-link PIO and a RIO the RIO doesn't do you any good. In the best case
it just adds another redundant route for the same /64 in the worst case
it confuses clients. My personal opinion would be to only send it if you
announce the PIO as off-link (don't know if that is configurable in
dnsmasq) and otherwise just drop the RIO if it would be identical to the
PIO.

I think it would make more sense to add some kind of option to specify
the RIO-length for a prefix and only announce the RIO if said RIO length
is < than that of the prefix announced in the PIO or just add a generic
option which let's you add arbitrary RIOs or so.

Cheers,

Steven