[Dnsmasq-discuss] Automatic DNSSEC-signing of ressource records

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Fri Sep 12 18:25:12 BST 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Rene Bartsch <ml at bartschnet.de> wrote:

> Am 2014-09-12 10:17, schrieb Jeroen van der Ham:
>
>  Ah you mean you want to use DNSmasq to do the automatic translation
>> from DHCP leases to DNS, and then automatically sign them. I would
>> still advise you to use a secondary nameserver, unless you’re not
>> running any mission-critical systems (in which case I think this is
>> somewhat over the top)
>>

> You need secondary nameservers, of course. Secondary nameservers are cheap
> or even for free. When I studied I was in a group of students each running
> a root server as primary nameserver for his domain(s) and we shared the
> root servers as secondary nameservers with each other.

​Several years ago, before Paul Vixie left ISC, we had a discussion about
whether ISC could act as secondary name servers at scale (at a minimum for
the U.S., for everyone's personal domains).  Paul thought that they could
without it being a serious load for them (ISC runs one of the root name
servers).

I've also had a similar set of discussions with the person who used to be
in charge of Comcast's excellent DNS infrastructure, and he was interested,
to the point of prototyping automating the delegation of the zone provided
by the ISP (certainly Comcast allocates a name for each and every customer,
it turns out) and doing the handshake for signing keys.​ He has since left
Comcast, so we'd have to start over, but from my previous interactions with
the technical folk at Comcast, I'm optimistic.

If/when I can track down the right Googler who runs their DNS
infrastructure, I'd like to have a similar conversation with them as I have
had with Paul and Comcast in the past.

>  What I have trouble with though is that DNSSEC is not yet at a stage
>> where it is easy to use. It certainly is still not easy to
>> troubleshoot and pinpoint problems. This goes beyond having an easy
>> interface to the DNS system itself, or automatic signing of records.
>>

> I'm running my three private domains with hosted DNSSEC without any
> problem. The only drawback is my registrar does not provide DynDNS and
> lacks some resource records - and Google Public DNS has a
> wildcard-resolution bug. The main problem is registrars usually lack
> important features for consumers, may mit be DNSSEC, DynDNS for dynamic
> IPs, IPv6 glue-records, some resource records or a usable interface for
> consumers.
>
> My dream is a consumer router at which the consumer just enters his public
> domain name(s) and the hostnames/IP addresses of Dnsmasq instances he wants
> to be secondary nameservers (and  provide secondary nameserver service
> for). The router would just display the secondary nameserver
> hostnames/Glue-Records and the Zone-Signing-Key or DS-Key to be sent to the
> registry via the registrar. As the Key-Signing-Keys are kept on the router
> you just have to check if the registry publishes the correct ZSK/DS-record
> to be sure your zone has not been tampered with. The router can even scan
> the hosts in the LAN for services (e.g. TLS) and add records automagically
> (e.g. TLSA-RRs for DANE). In expert mode additional records could be added
> manually.

​The ​above conversations I had with Paul Vixie and Comcast bothmake me
optimistic something can get worked out eventually, and that this is not
merely a pipe-dream.

People with technical smarts understand that typing addresses
2601:6:6800:724:466:4d34:949:1003 by hand really sucks and that fixing
naming as presumed by IPv6 design needs to happen. User friendly, it isn't,
much less aged parent friendly. And everyone has parents/grandparents they
are sysadmin for making this pretty clear in a first hand way. .local
addresses you can't use with others just don't hack it, and renumbering,
which often happens, makes doing things manually a PITA.

Note also this scales well, as to where the signing occurs.  And it means
that the keys don't have to leave the customer's control.

Now we just have to make the dream a reality.  I think we can find people
in the DNS core to work with to test it out.

                                         - Jim